Monday, October 3, 2011

Featured Artist of the Week

Dear Friends
I am so glad to announce the 'Featured Artist ' of this week Kim for - Kandu Handmade Jewelry Designs. I loved walking through her shop, here I found a beautiful pair of earrings , which I love the most.... made with gold filled components, swarovski crystals, an antique button and a "golden moss" vintage lucite rose.
Hope you all will enjoy reading this interview with Kim :)

 Featured Shop - Kandu Handmade Jewelry Designs   

1. Tell us something about yourself.
   My name is Kim and I am the mother of two teenage boys and two gorgeous whippets. :) I grew up in the desert southwest and ended up marrying my high school sweetheart. We just had our 18th wedding anniversary! I attended the University of North Texas where I got a master's degree in Audiology. Since the birth of my first son I have been blessed to be able to be a stay at home mom. This has allowed me invaluable time with my kids and time to explore my creative side! 

2. Where did you learn your skills ?  
    I have always been into arts and crafts even as a child. I had a neighbor who taught me to paint, crochet, and knit among other things. She instilled a love of creating in me that has never gone away. It was on a trip to Santa Fe, about 7 years ago, where I first got inspired to make jewelry. I saw a woman in a bead shop making a piece and I wanted to know how! I taught myself through reading books and watching tutorials on the internet. I began making beaded jewelry using only the finest gemstones and opened Kandu on Etsy. I found it was a wonderful way to unwind at the end of the day. Through the years I have dabbled in steampunk design and precious metal clay (which I still love) but I always come back to my love of using antique buttons and vintage components.

3.What motivates you to create ? 
   The funnest part of what I do is buying a big lot of antique buttons and diving in! I love dumping them out on the table and seeing what I've got. I spread them out and see if there is a pattern to group them in (dogs, birds, twinkles, military, etc). I love to research them if there are markings and imagine the history behind them. Sometimes I start a piece not having any idea of what I'm going to do and let it just evolve. Some of my best pieces have been born out of this "un-planned" creativity. My biggest flaw is what I like to call my "Adult onset ADD". :) I start a project and before I'm finished I've started 4 more! Sometimes it leads to a creative flurry that produces multiple items quickly, but sometimes it does slow me down and prevent from finishing ANY! 

4. Apart from creating things, what do you do? 

   In addition to making jewelry my other hobby is photography. A few years ago I finally invested in a good camera and decided to give it a go. I have had so much fun with it and have been able to share my work on Etsy as well. It is a wonderful way to stay creative when I'm away from home and away from my work station.

5. How would you describe your creative process?
   I am constantly motivated by nature and the world around me. There is so much to be inspired by when you stay still, quiet and present. I believe creativity is a gift that everyone possesses but not everyone explores. If I'm not hanging out with my family or snuggling with my dogs, I have to be doing something creative (I also love stamping, scrapbooking and collage). 

6. Your advice / suggestion to the new sellers ?

   My advice for new sellers would be to network!! Don't put it off! It can be intimidating at first but it actually can be alot of fun. I have met so many interesting artists through craft forums, facebook, and Etsy teams. It definitely takes a considerable amount of time, but once you get into the swing of it you can "schedule" it right into your day. I like to network early in the morning or late at night leaving the day open for creativity to strike! Remember there is no "wrong" when you are creating! :) 
Cheers!


7.Where can we see more of your work ? Share your Links 

Here are my links if you would like to connect!
www.kandujewel.etsy.com (my jewelry shop)
www.facebook.com/pages/Kandu/144303225665888
twitter.com/#!/Kandujewel

www.kimage.etsy.com (my photography shop)
www.facebook.com/KimagePhoto
www.redbubble.com/people/kanorth02/portfolio/popular

1 comment: